The Canadian Media Producers Association (CMPA) has unveiled the nominees for its annual Indiescreen Awards, recognizing excellence among Canadian independent feature film producers.
To be eligible, nominees must have acted as a producer on a Canadian feature film that premiered in the 2023 calendar year.
This year’s nominees for the Established Producer Award, which recognizes a producer or production team’s filmmaking accomplishments over the course of their career, accompanied by a $20,000 prize, are:
- Tanya Brunel (Logical Mayhem, Rezolution Pictures) – Coming Home (Wanna Icipus Kupi)
- Niv Fichman, Fraser Ash, Kevin Krikst (Rhombus Media) – Blackberry
- Nancy Grant (Metafilms) – Simple Comme Sylvain (The Nature of Love)
- Jason Levangie, Marc Tetreault (Shut Up and Colour Pictures Inc.) – The Queen of My Dreams
- William Woods, Allison White (Woods Entertainment, Sara Fost Pictures) – The King Tide
Up for the $10,000 Kevin Tierney Emerging Producer Award, celebrating a producer or production team’s early filmmaking achievements and career prospects, are:
- Anam Abbas (Other Memory Media, Citylights Media Inc.) – In Flames
- Michael Tanko Grand (Grand Scheme Productions Inc, 666 Films Inc.) – Satan Wants You
- Alona Metzer (Leilani Films) – Backspot
- Sean O’Neill (Visitor Media) – Swan Song
- Andria Wilson Mirza (Baby Daal Productions) – The Queen of My Dreams
“Canada’s independent producers continue to raise the bar, delivering compelling movies that both entertain and inspire,” said Andrew Addison, the CMPA’s Vice-President of Communications, Marketing and Membership, in a release. “This year’s nominees have demonstrated an impressive capacity to stand out in an incredibly tough industry.”
The winners will be announced at the Indiescreen Awards ceremony scheduled to take place at the Toronto International Film Festival on Sept. 7, presented in partnership with Telefilm Canada.
Subscribe Now – Free!
Broadcast Dialogue has been required reading in the Canadian broadcast media for 30 years. When you subscribe, you join a community of connected professionals from media and broadcast related sectors from across the country.
The Weekly Briefing from Broadcast Dialogue is delivered exclusively to subscribers by email every Thursday. It’s your link to critical industry news, timely people moves, and excellent career advancement opportunities.
Let’s get started right now.