Amazon has announced the launch of Prime Video Channels for Canada, which will allow Canadians to stream a suite of TV stations and channels from within the Prime Video app for an additional monthly subscription fee.
Essentially it will allow Amazon Prime Video subscribers to build their own pick-and-pay streaming package with monthly subscription fees for additional channels ranging from $3.99 to $12.99.
Prime Video Channels will include hayu, STARZ, and Nickelodeon as well as Canadian offerings like OUTtv, Super Channel, and STACKTV – a multi-channel package from Corus Entertainment.
“By simplifying our customers’ entertainment experience all within the Prime Video app, we can make it even easier to select, subscribe and enjoy TV shows and movies from our channel providers, like STARZ, hayu and Nickelodeon. Prime Video Channels also allows us to team up with Canadian content producers and broadcasters like Corus Entertainment to build unique products like STACKTV for our Canadian Prime members,” said Greg Hart, vice-president of Amazon Prime Video, in a press release.
“Corus is committed to providing best in class content to our audiences wherever and whenever they want it, and STACKTV delivers exactly that,” said Doug Murphy, President and CEO, Corus Entertainment. “Working with Amazon to provide top tier TV brands through Prime Video Channels allows us to reach new audiences, while offering consumers ease of access, choice, and must-see content.”
Prime Video Channels will be available via the existing Prime Video app on smart TVs, iOS and Android mobile devices, Amazon Fire TV, and Amazon Fire TV Stick.
At launch, channels will include:
- Acorn TV – the best of British drama and more, including fan favorites such as Doc Martin, A Place to Call Home, and Line of Duty for $7.49.
- hayu – hayu, Canada’s home of reality programming for $5.99.
- Hollywood Suite – movies that shaped the 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s , plus essential Hollywood classics for $4.99.
- Love Nature – original series, shorts and documentaries presented in 4K and HD for $3.99.
- MGM – hit television series, as well as popular and classic films from MGM Studios for $3.99. Titles include Get Shorty, Teen Wolf, the ROCKY collection, Legally Blonde 1&2, Overboard, The Thomas Crown Affair, Silence of the Lambs, Hoosiers and Barbershop 1&2.
- Nickelodeon – popular kids TV programming targeted to pre-schoolers and young adults, including favourites Spongebob Squarepants, Dora the Explorer, iCarly and more for $5.99.
- OUTtv – Canada’s national LGBTQ+ television network that offers hits like RuPaul’s Drag Race along with drama, comedy, talk, documentaries and award-winning movies for $3.99.
- Shudder – The largest selection of high-quality, handpicked classics and original horror, thrillers, and supernatural for $5.99.
- Smithsonian Channel – Award-winning programming that shines new light on popular genres such as air and space, history, science and pop culture for $3.99.
- STACKTV – Offering the latest episodes of hit shows from 12 of Corus’ networks. Customers can enjoy both live and on-demand programming from Adult Swim, Food Network, Global, HGTV, History, National Geographic, Slice, Showcase, Teletoon, Treehouse, W Network and YTV for $12.99.
- STARZ – STARZ Original series, full seasons of hit television series, and a vast library of all-time favourite Hollywood movies. Available for $5.99.
- Sundance Now – Offers a selection of true crime, thrillers, and dramatic series from around the world for $6.99.
- Super Channel – Four diverse linear channels plus on demand, with access to hits including Harlots, Mr. Mercedes, Pure and When Calls the Heart as well as access to library films and e-sports, for $9.99.
Amazon says additional subscriptions will be added in the coming months.
Prime Video Channels for Canada follows the launches of Prime Video Channels in the U.S., UK, Germany, Austria and Japan.
Subscribe Now – Free!
Broadcast Dialogue has been required reading in the Canadian broadcast media for 25 years. When you subscribe, you join a community of connected professionals from media and broadcast related sectors from across the country.
The Weekly Briefing from Broadcast Dialogue is delivered exclusively to subscribers by email every Thursday. It’s your link to critical industry news, timely people moves, and excellent career advancement opportunities.
Let’s get started right now.