Reporter/editor (English Services) – EDM00668
Job Family: Programming (TV-Radio-Web)
Primary Location: Edmonton
Status of Employment: Permanent, Full-time
Work at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
Are you an ambitious self-starter and collaborative team player who is passionate about local news and current events, excels at both breaking news and enterprise journalism, and has a strong interest in uncovering issues that matter to your audience?
CBC Edmonton is looking for an experienced Reporter/Editor to join our news team. An exceptional journalist and a keen observer, you must be able to analyze a broad range of issues and thrive in the fast-paced, high-pressure world of a multiplatform newsroom.
The successful candidate must be a critical thinker and have a sharp eye for spin. You will be expected to file daily news for digital, radio and television, as well as produce exclusive features and in-depth analysis on a regular basis. You will understand the diverse and changing population in Edmonton, and the importance of reflecting all our communities in our content.
In this role, you will ensure that all CBC journalistic standards are met and that our stories are fair, balanced, accurate, thoughtful and immediate, and that they resonate with the communities we serve. Experience covering business, economics and politics, as well as a background in data journalism, would be considered strong assets.
- Pitch, research, write and produce original story ideas for digital, radio and TV programming that will engage and inform the audience, deepen our community connections and elevate a range of voices.
- Regularly present stories on-air, providing analysis and context to enhance the audience’s understanding of issues.
- Respond quickly to breaking news events as they unfold.
- Deliver exclusive and enterprise material on a regular basis.
- Distil large amounts of complex information under tight time constraints.
- Cultivate and develop working relationships with a large pool of sources and contacts.
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop and break stories, plan features and coordinate long-term coverage.
- University degree in journalism or equivalent with a minimum of three years of recent, related experience in a multiplatform newsroom.
- Ability to generate, pitch and pursue strong, original story ideas.
- Strong proven connection to the communities we serve in Edmonton.
- Demonstrated professional experience using various news platforms, including digital, social, radio and television.
- Ability to disseminate complex information to a general audience and across all platforms.
- Ability to present stories live on-air, from within the studio and out in the field.
- Proven experience with Freedom of Information requests and database journalism.
- Ability to work in high-pressure environments, with considerable deadline constraints and a significant degree of public scrutiny.
- Willingness to learn and tackle new tasks across all CBC platforms.
- Ability to forge positive team relationships and keen to work on a team that values collaboration and transparency.
- Strong desire to live and promote the values of diversity and an inclusive and respectful work culture.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; a standout colleague.
- Must possess a valid driver’s licence as well as a driving record that meets the minimum requirements of CBC/Radio-Canada’s insurance company, other classes considered an asset.
- Ability to work a variety of shifts including early starts, late finishes and weekends.
At the CBC, we recognize that not everyone takes the same path when it comes to building their skills. We value diversity of thought and of experience, and we are excited to hear from you! Hands-on journalism experience, intelligence, an innate curiosity, a passion for learning, and a team-focused approach can combine to form the best set of qualifications. If you feel you meet most of the qualifications and you are excited by the possibility of adding to the rich culture of the CBC, take a chance and express your interest by applying now!
Please include additional documentation or a link to your online demo or website, blog or video in your cover letter.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
If this sounds interesting, please click on ”Apply online”. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an email to email@example.com
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest. Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include all genders.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/606612b7132f66053872b630/51fc022458b70066fae4a25e/en
To apply for this job please visit rita.illicohodes.com.