Closing Date: June 17, 2020, 16:00 Eastern Time.
CKCU-FM seeks a successful experienced senior professional (working in a combination of supervisory and management roles) who can fill the position of Executive Director. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will provide innovative, strategic and operational leadership to a small team, guiding the radio station’s major activities toward the implementation of a longer term, strategic plan. While experience in radio is not considered to be a mandatory asset, preference will be given to applicants who demonstrate knowledge of the community-based campus model.
CKCU-FM is an independent radio station that has been operating for over 44 years beginning on November 14, 1975, when the strains of Joni Mitchell’s “You Turn Me On, I’m a Radio” transmitted over the airwaves at 93.1 FM. Looking forward to 2025, CKCU-FM is seeking to proactively capture the opportunity presented by the 50th anniversary.
Specifically, CKCU-FM is licensed by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission as a community-based campus radio station. CKCU-FM offers programming which reflects the diversity of its audience and amplifies voices marginalized by mainstream media. The radio station currently broadcasts over 120 different programs in 12 different languages.
CKCU-FM is also a registered charity that has been operating on stable community support through an annual Funding Drive that begins in late October and runs for two or three weeks.
Recently, however, the Student Choice Initiative, now before the courts, has created funding instability for the organization. The Student Choice Initiative intends to allow Ontario college and university students to opt out of nonessential services, such as campus-based radio stations. In order to mitigate these challenges, that have been and may continue to be, imposed by the Student Choice Initiative, CKCU-FM’s funding sources need to become more reliable, sustainable and diverse.
CKCU-FM is also looking to the future and how to navigate through and position itself in an evolving media and technology landscape, and growing community needs without losing the unique qualities of the organization.
The Executive Director will provide innovative, strategic and operational leadership to a small team while guiding major radio station activities toward the implementation of a longer-term, strategic plan.
The position will supervise 3 full-time positions (32 hours per week):
- Program Manager (responsible for ensuring program quality standards);
- Production Manager (responsible for the technical aspects of the station’s physical and digital assets); and
- Volunteer Manager (responsible for the coordination of an active team of approximately 200 to 250 volunteers.)
In addition, a contract position to support CKCU-FM’s annual Funding Drive is usually filled beginning in October.
The right candidate for the job will possess the following qualifications:
- Significant successful years working in a combination of supervisory and management roles.
- A university degree or an equivalent combination of training and experience in the not-for-profit sector.
- Proven experience in developing and executing strategic plans.
Candidates for the job will be assessed on the following rated qualifications:
- Knowledge of the community-based campus model of radio in Canada.
- Excellent Human Resource management skills and strong leadership skills, including: the ability to motivate staff and volunteers; and, to build a well functioning supportive, collaborative and forward thinking team.
- Strong organizational abilities, including: planning; delegating; program development; and, task facilitation.
- Skills in dealing with difficult situations and mitigating, diffusing and managing conflict.
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including: budget preparation; analysis; decision-making; and, reporting.
- Ability to convey a vision of CKCU-FM’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors.
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector.
- Skills in developing and nurturing positive relationships with outside organizations for the purpose of collaboration, fundraising, sponsorship and other activities.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including strong public speaking ability.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position with a beginning salary range of $75,000 to $85,000 based on skills and experience.
Interested candidates must provide a résumé of their experience, three (3) references with at least one being a former or present staff member and at least one being someone you have reported to, and a brief but concise cover letter indicating why they feel they are the right candidate.
Everyone is thanked for applying, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Submit applications, inquires and requests for additional information to:
Director, CKCU-FM Board of Directors
CLOSING DATE: June 17, 2020, 16:00 Eastern Time.
CKCU-FM is an equal opportunity employer and is located on the 5th floor, University Centre, Carleton University, Ottawa ON.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org