Make a difference with a team that’s passionate about connecting Canadians with their democratic institutions. The Cable Public Affairs Channel (CPAC) is Canada’s window on parliament, politics and public affairs. As Canada’s only national, bilingual media outlet focused exclusively on politics, we are unique in the Canadian media landscape. We are looking for a bilingual Associate Producer to join our creative and nimble team.
CPAC is seeking a bilingual (French/English) journalist to join our editorial team to create broadcast, digital and social media content. Based in Ottawa, this is a great opportunity for an individual who is keenly interested in storytelling and embraces the challenges of producing content that engages the unique needs of different audiences across all platforms. The chosen individual will possess strong journalism skills combined with an ardent appreciation and knowledge of all things political.
- Producing compelling, engaging content for CPAC’s daily political shows, digital and social media platforms, including daily fact packages or explainer packages.
- Editing digital-first programs and video segments for CPAC’s digital properties, including the CPAC website and social media accounts.
- Ensuring the timely publication of on-demand video to the CPAC website, as required.
- Actively engaging in daily editorial meetings; pitching new editorial content and/or ideas on how to prepare and enhance proposed stories or segments.
- Researching information, writing scripts and sourcing images for fact packages.
- Working with producers and hosts of CPAC’s daily political shows – ensuring fact and explainer packages and other editorial content is vetted before distribution on all media platforms.
- Working with editors to produce graphics and other elements for fact packages, including approving the final product before submitting it to the show producer for final vetting.
- Selecting, editing, packaging, posting and optimizing content for social media platforms including YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- May be required to field produce, report and conduct interviews for the daily shows as well as for special coverage such as political conventions or elections related coverage.
- Assisting producers by chase producing guests and helping coordinate or produce interviews
- Assisting in the development of special in-depth feature series for the daily political shows.
Qualifications (knowledge, skills and experience required):
- The ability to produce and edit content in both French and English is essential; preference may be given to candidates whose first language is French.
- A post-secondary degree or diploma in journalism or equivalent related experience.
- A keen interest in politics and the business of democracy.
- A strong understanding of journalism practices and broadcast standards.
- Excellent writing skills, including familiarity with Canadian Press style.
- Advanced knowledge of video editing and asset management platforms, computer system operation and maintenance, hardware and software.
- Knowledge of video-editing principles and techniques.
- A strong track record using digital platforms for journalistic content.
- Proficiency with WordPress, Adobe Premier, Adobe Illustrator, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
- Ability to work flexible hours and a strong work ethic.
- Initiative and ability to plan, prioritize and organize workflow.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Independence, self-motivation, and self-sufficiency.
- Willingness to upgrade editorial and technical skills as required.
- Promotes work environment that recognizes, supports, respects and welcomes diversity of employees.
- Fluently bilingual in French and English.
This is a full time, regular position with competitive benefits.
Please submit your application to:
1750-45 O’Connor Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 1A4
Attention: Patricia Hutton, Human Resources
CPAC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org