Canadian Heritage has announced a second extension of the Short-Term Compensation Fund (STCF) for Canadian audiovisual productions, saying that there is still “a pressing need” for the program as the COVID-19 situation continues to evolve.
Now extended through March 31, 2023, Telefilm Canada will continue to provide as much as $150 million in compensation to production companies whose filming has been interrupted or abandoned as a result of a COVID diagnosis or outbreak.
This is the second time the fund, initiated as a temporary emergency measure to address the lack of insurance coverage for the Canadian film and television production industry, has been extended. It was previously protracted in February 2021 to March 2022.
“The longevity of the pandemic and the challenges it brings to the audiovisual industry demonstrated the necessity for another year-long extension of the Short-Term Compensation Fund,” said Christa Dickenson, Executive Director and CEO, Telefilm. “As many sectors transition and adjust to the permanent changes resulting from the pandemic, today’s announcement provides this continued security as the industry normalizes to new health and safety measures and protocols while ensuring Canadian content remains onscreen for the world to enjoy.”
“We extend deep appreciation to Minister Rodriguez and the federal government for their continued support of Canada’s film and television production industry throughout the pandemic,” added Canadian Media Producers Association (CMPA) President & CEO Reynolds Mastin and l’Association québécoise de la production médiatique (AQPM) President Hélène Messier, in a joint statement. “The extension of the Short-Term Compensation Fund will ensure that the thousands of individuals working in Canadian film and TV production will remain employed, creating stellar content for audiences across the country and around the world.”
Telefilm says since its launch on Oct. 28, 2020, the STCF has received over 851 applications, spanning 11 provinces and territories, and totalling more than $527.3 million in coverage, representing over $3 billion in production volume. To date, Telefilm says it’s signed agreements to cover 814 camera-ready projects and has helped support over 20,000 jobs.
Producers who have already applied to the STCF for a project that begins shooting before March 31, 2022 and extends beyond that date, must reapply with a new, complete application for the portion of principal photography that takes place after March 31, 2022. Producers with new projects that begin shooting on April 1, 2022 or later must submit a new, complete application at a minimum of 10 business days prior to the commencement of shooting. Applicants can visit the STCF webpage for updated guidelines.
Subscribe Now – Free!
Broadcast Dialogue has been required reading in the Canadian broadcast media for 30 years. When you subscribe, you join a community of connected professionals from media and broadcast related sectors from across the country.
The Weekly Briefing from Broadcast Dialogue is delivered exclusively to subscribers by email every Thursday. It’s your link to critical industry news, timely people moves, and excellent career advancement opportunities.
Let’s get started right now.