Sportsnet and TSN are moving into the sports betting space, as Ontario’s new iGaming online gaming market officially went live Monday.
Sportsnet is launching programming across its TV, audio, digital and social channels with Wager Week, running today through April 10, introducing audiences to the network’s new sports betting content brand, SN Bets.
Anchored by Cabbie Richards and the SN Bets “squad” on Twitter, Instagram and TikTok, the multi-platform content rollout includes sports betting information, analysis and entertainment.
“Wager Week is just the beginning of what Sportsnet viewers, fans and followers can expect from us,” said Sam Nasrawi, Senior Director of Original Content, Sportsnet, in a Rogers Sports & Media announcement. “Combining the network’s sports media assets and premier sports rights with our ability to create world-class original content across all platforms, Sportsnet is laying the foundation to become the #1 sports betting content and information destination for Canadian sports fans for years to come.”
Richards, who has been named Executive Producer of Betting Content for the network, says Sportsnet is looking to form a community of engaged fans, giving them a destination to interact with others about their betting experiences, while also promoting responsible gaming.
Wager Week highlights include:
TV & SN NOW
- Live Event Broadcasts – Cabbie and the squad will make guest appearances during pre-game or intermission coverage of select game broadcasts on Sportsnet throughout the week.
- Ongoing – Regular sports betting segments on Tim & Friends and Sportsnet Central.
Audio – Available daily across Sportsnet Radio Network and sportsnet.ca
- Wake and Rake – Begin every day with the Wake and Rake betting segment, available on The FAN Morning Show on Sportsnet 590 The FAN or on demand.
- Coming Soon: SN Bets Daily Podcast – the SN Bets squad dives into breaking sports headlines and betting trends every morning at 10 a.m. ET.
Social – Available daily across SN Bets Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and Facebook accounts
- SN Bets Testimonials – Explore the culture of sports betting with SN Bets creators and Sportsnet talent, including Elliotte Friedman and Tim Micallef.
- SN Bets VS – The SN Bets squad faces off against Sportsnet broadcast favourites in the network’s battle for daily picks supremacy.
- Ride Alongs – Taking over Sportsnet’s social media accounts, SN Bets bring fans front-row for select NBA, NHL and MLB games while the squad makes a few wagers along the way.
- SN Creators – Riding along with the SN Bets crew, Sportsnet creators Jesse Jaurji, Emily Agard, Shea-Lynn Noyes and Kyle Parkinson serve up original content throughout the week.
TSN announces sportsbook deal with FanDuel
FanDuel Group announced Monday it had reached a first-of-its-kind multi-year agreement with TSN to become the network’s official sportsbook partner.
FanDuel will provide TSN with its expertise in mobile sportsbook and casino operations, acting as the exclusive provider of sports odds across TSN programming, integrating sports betting alongside sports content. Those integrations will include in-game broadcasts, digital marketing, mobile apps and co-branding opportunities with TSN promoting FanDuel’s online gaming formats like Same Game Parlay™ bets, as well as its casino platform and free-to-play games.
“FanDuel is the undisputed leader in sports betting, and with the launch of sports betting in Canada they were the clear choice for us as a sportsbook partner,” said Stewart Johnston, Senior Vice-President, TSN. “FanDuel delivers an entertaining, customer-centric, responsible gaming experience with attractive odds that Canadian sports fans will want to engage with and we believe that combining their sportsbook with our expansive portfolio of live sports properties will not only deliver the exciting content that our passionate fan base demands but will provide new opportunities to expand the TSN brand.”
Sportsnet and TSN are just the latest media outlets to announce sports betting integrations. Earlier this year, thestar.com began featuring sports betting and wagering content in a dedicated section as part of an omnichannel advertising and marketing services arrangement with NorthStar Bets.
Its parent company Northstar Gaming announced last month, it had hired veteran sports broadcaster Rod Black as a host and brand ambassador for NorthStar Bets. Its content team also includes former Sportsnet reporter Chris Johnston.
Subscribe Now – Free!
Broadcast Dialogue has been required reading in the Canadian broadcast media for 30 years. When you subscribe, you join a community of connected professionals from media and broadcast related sectors from across the country.
The Weekly Briefing from Broadcast Dialogue is delivered exclusively to subscribers by email every Thursday. It’s your link to critical industry news, timely people moves, and excellent career advancement opportunities.
Let’s get started right now.